Get excited. This is the inaugural kitchen post. I know that I am treading in dangerous waters here, as my sister is the Head Pastry Chef at a hipster coffee shop in Birmingham. But I took a chance on a fantastic-sounding recipe from smitten kitchen. And, really, it is the season for baking. I love fall.
I'm going to be honest. This is one of the most involved foods I have ever prepared. And, in the spirit of full disclosure, it was totally worth it. I love pie crust. When Kendall and I lived across the hall from each other, I made the crust and she made the pecan pie for many thanksgiving celebrations. Typically, for several in the same year.
The set up:
So many dishes. But, again, totally worth it. Especially because it is divided between making-crust-clean-up and assembling-cookies-clean-up.
| starting with unsalted butter, flour, and sugar |
| Put flour in the shaker to best cover surfaces. Brilliant. Another tip from smitten kitchen (Like my make-shift cookie cutter?) |
Now to assemble the cookies. I'm so glad Ben was helping me. We only had to put the cookies back in the fridge once to chill the dough.
Ben cut the apples pretty thin, so we decided to double up. I highly recommend this. I also recommend adding an extra tablespoon of sugar to the dough (a total of 3 tbsps), but I like sugar. Also, I probably should have rolled the dough a little thinner.
The recipe makes a delicious, crisp, flaky cookie that hold up well-enough to be eaten my hand. Yum. Although, they would definitely be a-maz-ing if served with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
In case you don't want to scroll up to the top to see this beautiful picture again:
| Apple Pie Cookies |
Those look amazing!! The first time I saw the pick, I thought it had to be the one from smitten kitchen. Ythey are beautiful! Well done, sister.
ReplyDelete& let's be serious - almost everything I know about baking I learned from my sister. Or from messing something up.
Maybe that shouldn't be a quote for pastry school...
Oh my, those look delicious! Yum, they are making my mouth water.
ReplyDelete