Monday, April 23, 2012

Building a Planter in our Back Yard


Okay, so "yard," might be a bit of a stretch. 
Let's go with "the outdoor concrete patio area attached to the rear of our house."

But, "planter" is completely accurate.
We are going to plant a salsa garden this year!  Hooray!

Here is Ben mixing mortar.  By hand, well technically by trowel.
With no protective gear!  The package recommends a N95 mask and rubber boots.
Brave Ben.

Step one: Lay the mortar.
Step two: Add a brick
Step 3: Butter the short side of the brick with mortar.
Repeat.


I helped too!  Sans protective gear.


The first layer is complete!

I should mention, by the way, that this project would not have been possible without the borrowed tools from Sarah and Michelle.  
Thanks for letting us borrow the brick splitter and the sledge hammer!

Between the completion of the first layer and this picture, I may have excused myself to shower and possibly nap.  I don't remember clearly.

I did run to the store to purchase an additional 10 pound bag of mortar dust,
so I was marginally helpful!

This is what it looked like when we first moved in.


It will look even better when overflowing with vegetables!

The masonry is complete.  
Now, to plant the tomatoes, onions, spicy chilis, 
and cilantro to complete the salsa garden.

Whenever it stops raining. . . 






1 comment:

  1. Yay-I love reading your blog! I'll be waiting for pictures of your wonderful overflowing garden in a few months! I'm going to attempt some patio container gardening of my own this season...I'll let you know how I make out!

    ReplyDelete