Sunday, December 25, 2011

Our Foods of Christmas






Let me start off by saying that I love baking and cooking when it is cold outside.  Love it.  And since we were on our own for Christmas this year, I wanted to integrate some family traditions and start some of our own.

My helpful husband
Pictured above is Ben's mom's Christmas Sugar cookie dough.  These cookies were tricky!  First I didn't put enough food coloring in, then I rolled them to thin / baked them too long.  Out of 7 batches so far, I think I succeeded making 1 the right texture. Practice makes perfect (and icing covers up imperfections. . . )

Christmas Eve dinner

Has anyone ever heard of the Seven Fishes Dinner?  Me neither.  But it is big up here with our neighbors with Italian heritage.  This, I found out when I went to the seafood store to pick up crab cakes and scallops to fry for dinner, which turned into a very interesting hour of people watching.  Highlights include a live lobster in a bag crawling off the top of the case where it was waiting to be purchased and listening to a 90 year old couple and girl behind the counter converse in Italian.

My sister and her husband got us this fryer as a wedding gift.  We thought it was so cool that we also bought one for them when they got married.  It turns out, fried food is very delicious.  kjp agrees.

drizzling the balsamic glaze on the roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts

What holiday meal is complete without burning my arm in the oven?


Next up, Pioneer Woman Cinnamon Rolls:



Seriously, let's talk about these.  We made a half batch and still filled FOUR pie pans.  They are stupid good.  And worth the effort.  And if you lived up here, I would have you over to help us eat them.  Mostly for selfish reasons, since I do not want either of us to gain a hundred pounds over the holidays.  

Lastly, I made a custard pie.  This was the most nerve-wracking of all.  Ben's paternal grandfather used to make custard pies for special occasions so we got the recipe from his wife to make for Christmas.  Man, I was nervous.  I was certain that I did something wrong and it wasn't going to set.  And who wants to eat runny pie?  Lo and behold, it was actually a success.  And although it took longer to cool and set than I predicted, it is in fact, not terrible.  Pappy would be proud.


2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious. And it sounds like you, if fact, didn't wear yourselves out too much after cooking your meal for two (or not) to actually eat it! Congratulations!!! I wish I could help you eat those delicious looking cinnamon rolls. I, however, appear as though I gained a hundred pounds - take a look at my pics - I'm thinking (or blaming) the steroids! Miss you. ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that I thought your first picture was of carrot and pea something or other (maybe cookie dough). Thank goodness its food coloring!

    ReplyDelete