Thursday, January 24, 2013

Delicious Soup of Green




Let me start out with this: Soup is not my favorite food.
(unlike some people I know. . . @lovetheporters)

But how good does this look?!  And healthy to boot.



Step one: Gather your ingredients.

So, I substituted 2 mild poblano peppers for the "sweet green peppers" and green chilis
What are sweet green peppers?
Bell peppers?
Ew.
And I would have added the green chilis, but I couldn't find them at my neighborhood whole foods on a Saturday when it was PACKED.  

Step two: Follow the instructions.

Kind of.

I can't follow a recipe to save my life, but this one I came pretty close.

I cooked up all the yummy vegetables and served it over the cilantro, avocado, and yogurt.  (Shouldn't have added the yogurt.  MJV was NOT happy.  Maybe goat's milk yogurt would have been better tolerated, but I digress)


A beautiful presentation, if I do say so myself.

If I made it again, I would probably sub kale for spinach and add jalapenos for some heat.  And I would serve it with quinoa instead of brown rice.



I think the salsa you use is also pretty important.
I selected Herdez and a WF store brand green salsa in a 1:1 ratio.

Delicious.
And leftovers for days, that are equally delicious if you add fresh avocado and cilantro to each serving individually.

Or leave out the cilantro, if you don't like it.
But I like it.

Ben would want me to point out that this should absolutely NOT be called "chili," per the original recipe.  It is certainly soup.  And good soup it is.




No comments:

Post a Comment